Friday, October 24, 2014

Frank Gehry Claims That Architecture Today is "Pure Shit"

Photo Courtesy of El Mundo 

“Let me tell you one thing. In this world we are living in, 98 percent of everything that is built and designed today is pure shit. There’s no sense of design, no respect for humanity or for anything else. They are damn buildings and that’s it. Once in a while, however, there’s a small group of people who does something special. Very few. But good god, leave us alone! We are dedicated to our work. I don’t ask for work. I don’t have a publicist. I’m not waiting for anyone to call me. I work with clients who respect the art of architecture. Therefore, please don’t ask questions as stupid as that one.”


This was the response from 85 year old Frank Gehry when asked by a reporter at the a press conference in Oviedo Spain (where he received the Prince of Asturias Awards for the Arts) how he responds to claims that he creates "showy/flashy architecture". . 

Gehry is one of the few remaining "superstar architects" like Corbusier, Frank Lloyd Wright and Steven Holl. His claim to fame being that his designs are parametric, created from crazy forms. Just take a look at his sketches. 






I've actually had the pleasure of seeing one of Gehry's buildings first hand. Last winter my boyfriend and I explored the Lewis Science Library on Princeton's campus in NJ. And let me say it definitely stands out from the other buildings on Princeton's campus. Below are my photos from our trip. 

Lewis Library Entrance - Photo by Amanda Rapson


I mean look at that roof!

Photo by Amanda Rapson

Photo by Amanda Rapson


Photo by Amanda Rapson


I think there's a lot of truth in Gehry's response above. Most architecture today is shit. Buildings have become empty shells that we occupy, with no character, design, response to humanity or anything. I would like to applaud Gehry for calling this out. His architecture is not flashy, it means something. So yes, most architecture today is pure shit. It's up to us to make sure the 2% that isn't shit, continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment