Monday, September 8, 2014

FA14 Morphology : Paper Folding

Today I had my first graduate level architecture course! It is taught by Professor Lefteris Pavlides, PhD, AIA. The class is called Morphology, and the study of form. 

The origins of a form as an inorganic are either solids (crystals), liquid (or things carved by liquid), or gaseous (wind or things carved by wind).

After he lecture he gave the class an assignment to work on. Take a piece of paper and fold it into any 3D structure. Make the paper stand, let your fingers do the thinking, no peeking at others.... Below are my few attempts at making paper stand.....


After a few minutes, someone caught on to the form he wanted us to create. It was from an 1974 assignment he had in architecture school at Yale.
I asked the paper what it wanted to be, The paper told me I like an octahedron!

So then I created six octahedrons.


Then we had to form them together into a 3D shape that would stay together without tape, glue etc... So we had to weave them together, which was kind of hard with only two hands but I managed to figure it out. 


For next Mondays class we need to create and weave mini octahedron's and create a presentation explaining the Origins of Form. 



-A


No comments:

Post a Comment