Friday, July 25, 2014

Shipping Container Architecture - Cordell House

I can say that I have some pretty ambitious goals for myself within the next few years. Graduate with my B.S in architecture, graduate early with my M.S in architecture, become LEED certified, complete my IDP hours and become licensed just to name a few. One of the biggest questions I get from people when they learn I'm an architecture major is "What type of architecture do you want to do?" And when I tell them I want to build things with shipping containers they usually look at me like I have five heads. 

Shipping container architecture has gone from a small scale grassroots movement to a much larger platform. While shipping container buildings are hard to find in the northeast, down south they are much more common. More and more architects are being approached by clients to design homes and building made from shipping containers. Why? I believe the main reason is that they cost less, are sustainable and have a modern style to them.  

When I tell most people I want to design with shipping containers they usual say something like "wont they be dark and cold? How do you insulate it? How to do build it out? Won't the inside be ugly?" But I'm going to let the following pictures prove them wrong. Pictured below is the Cordell House in Houston Texas, belonging to Kevin Freeman and Jen Feldman and design by Christopher Robertson. All photographs were taken by Jack Thompson. I originally found an article on Dwell featuring the home with all the photos here.



















Still think you can't design with shipping containers? 


No comments:

Post a Comment